India’s diplomatic mission was first set up in Jeddah in 1948, initially as a Consulate, then as a Consulate General, a Legation, and from 1957 as a full-fledged Embassy. At that time, diplomatic missions were in Jeddah where the Foreign Office was located, while the King and the other Ministers were based in the Capital City of Riyadh. In the early 1980s, diplomatic missions shifted to Riyadh. Accordingly, in October 1985, the Indian Embassy moved from Jeddah to Riyadh.
In 1996, the Embassy shifted to a newly built building located at a prime location in the Diplomatic Quarter area of Riyadh. The present Embassy building, covered with pink Dholpur stones from Rajasthan in India, reminds one of the beauty and elegance of Indian architecture.